(Photo by X F on Unsplash)
Welcome to this new venture.
Some of you know me from another blog site called "Wayfarer" out on Substack. I have a number of regular readers there, which is nice. The thing is, it's a bit of a mix of academic writing, theological debate, and probably not appropriate for talking to most "normal" people!
I'm guessing you rate yourself as "normal," normally?
Great! So, I'm going to have a go at being "normal".
Or, at least; nearly normal. You'll soon realise I may have a different viewpoint on that. My University's motto, or slogan is, "Do Different."
There are even those who categorise me as a "Heretic," and, to be honest, I'm flattered! It situates me towards the marginalised corner of the playground, which means I don't need to perform, try too hard, or take myself too seriously.
So, yes another, different blog. A blog with a difference, even.
That suits me just fine.
So, come; do different with me, if you please!
It's called "Crumbs From His Table," which is, kind of what it is. I mean, that while over there at Wayfarer they're all chewing over the meat, fat, and al dente vegetables - often with a strong sauce, or gutsy gravy - we get to enjoy more digestible, varied, diverse, hopefully delicious morsels - mezze style over here.
Definitely Mediterranean flavour, if you get what I mean!
Jesus was a table-talker, keen on food and quite the classy wine-maker! (Folks who didn't understand him said he was a wine-bibber. But that's just people talking!)
(Photo by Kelsey Knight on Unsplash)
In fact, John's Gospel records the fact that the very first indication that Jesus, from Nazareth - a two-bit town if ever there was one - was more than your average Preacher/Prophet kind of guy, was when he went to a wedding in a place called Cana. Because, being quite the knees-up, they ran out of wine and that is, frankly, a serious no-no! Mothers being like they are, Jesus' mum, Mary, just told the catering staff to do whatever he told them to do; he would fix the problem.
And then she tells him to do something about it.
Like she knew something even Jesus didn't!
His initial response was, "Mum! What? Why? That's none of our business. And, anyway; This is not the time or the place!"
But he goes ahead all the same, because he's a good son who listens to his mother, and probably doesn't want to be embarrassed any further, either!
The result is 60 gallons of Grand Crus (top drawer) wine! (See John 2:1-12 in The Message for easy reading.)
In another incident, Jesus encounters a tax-collector in cahoots with the Roman occupiers, called Zaccheus - inevitably, a very wealthy man - and invites himself to dinner! Talk about keeping bad company! The crowd around were not impressed.(See Luke 19 for details). Jesus even makes a self-deprecating observation (Matthew 11:19) to the effect that people called his cousin John "The Baptizer" crazy because he only ate locusts and honey, and called Jesus a "lush, and a friend of the riff-raff."
Frankly, though - with his track record, I know whose table I'd rather be dining at!
See you next time.
Cheers!


No comments:
Post a Comment